ReFolutionair

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Don't mistake the opinion of the multitude for truth...

I get these "blessings from DaySpring"-email once in a while. Last time it said something about II Chronicles 16:9

For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth to show Himself strong in behalf of those whose hearts are blameless toward Him.

I thought... I'm going to read more of that once I'm on the bus back to Sliedrecht. And I started in chapter 16... to chapter 19.
It's about this man, Jehoshaphat, who was reigning over Judah at that time. It's much to read. But it's just too good NOT to share, so here are a few verses that struck me:

II Chronicles 17:7
Also in the third year of his reign he send his princes (So and So) to teach in the cities of Judah; and with them were the Levites (So and So); and with these Levites were the priests (So and So).
And they taught in Judah, and had the Book of the Law of the Lord with them; they went about throughout all the cities of Judah and taught among the people.


So this whole group taught, with the Book of the Law of the Lord with them... and now... the result of this:

And the terror from the Lord fell upon all the kingdoms of the lands that were round about Judah, so that they made no war against Jehoshaphat.

So the result is: no war!!!

And some of the Philistines brought Jehoshaphat gifts and tribute silver, and the Arabs brought him flocks: 7,700 each of rams and of he-goats. And Jehoshaphat became very great. He built in Judah fortresses and store cities.

So Jehoshaphat became great... I believe it's not about 'how great you can become when you keep God's Law', but it DOES point out how powerful the effects are of teaching God's Word.


And then there was this other situation. Jehoshaphat was talking to Ahad about going into a battle with Syria or not. And Jehoshaphat said:(II Chronicles 18:4-13)

Inquire first, I pray you, for the word of the Lord today. So king Ahab gathered together the prophets, 400 men and asked: shall we go to battle, or shall I forbear? and they said: Go up, for God will deliver it into the kings hand.

So 400 prophets, people who should know God's heart say: "Go".

But Jehoshaphat said: Is there not another prophet of the Lord here by whom we may inquire?

I think it's so funny. It's like Jehoshaphat is not even listening to 400 men. He wants to know if there is a prophet of the Lord...
Ahab said: there IS another man, Micaiah, by whom we may inquire of the Lord, but I hate him, for he never has prophesied good for me, but always evil. And Jehoshaphat said: Let not the king say so. [...] bring quickly Micaiah. [..] The messenger who went to call Micaiah said to him: Behold, the words of the prophets foretell good to the king with one accord. So let your word be like one of them, and speak favorably.

Micaiah was asked to agree with what all the other 400 said. I think, when 400 prophets (false or not) foretell with one accord, it takes guts, faith and a deep knowledge of the heart of God to say what Micaiah said:

As the Lord lives, what my God says, that will I speak.

And Micaiah was the only one who foretold what would actually happen (read it for yourselves). 1 against 400...

"Don't mistake the opinion of the multitude for truth." (Loesje)


II Chronicles 19:28 - 31
So Ahab king of Israel and Jehoshaphat king of Judah went up to Ramoth-gilead. And Ahad said to Jehoshaphat, I will disguise myself and will go to the battle, but you put on your royal robes. So King Ahad of Israel disguised himself, and they went into the battle. Now Syria's king had commanded his chariot captains, Fight not with small or great, but only with the king of Israel

Now think about it... Syria told his captains to aim for the king of Israel only... Who of the two do you think looked like a king (Ahab disguised and Jehoshaphat with royal ropes... So logically Syria's captains are like pouncing on Jehoshaphat because they mistake him for the king. This is what happened:

when the captains of the chariots saw Jehoshaphat they said, It's the king of Israel. So they turned to fight against him,
(I would have wet my pants if I were Jehoshaphat at that moment, seeing this whole group of captains coming towards me to fight me) But Jehoshaphat knew the Word of God which sais: Call upon the Lord and He shall come to rescue
,
BUT Jehoshaphat cried out, and the Lord helped him; and God moved them to depart from him.



God keeps His Word. His Word is the standard and His Word is true and powerful. It's just wonderful isn't it...

2 Comments:

At 12:23 AM, Blogger Corianne said...

This is awesome. Wow. I'm soo happy to read this, it really makes my heart jump inside of me.
WWWOOOOOWWW. echt zo gaaf!

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Stevie B said...

Such a good entry, Elise.

Hey Corianna I thought you don't read long Bible teaching blog entries.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home